inthekillhouse.com

KillHouse Games Community
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:06 pm 
Trooper
Trooper

Hi guys,
I loved your game and since you guys were the newest developed studio I know of, I wanted to ask you some questions (2) because I want to get into the business of developing games.
1. How does one get from, nothing, to making a game as good as yours? Is it as simple as buying some software, learning how to use it, and trying out making prototypes until you hit the jackpot? Or is this something you have to strive for for years? Also, where do you find the people that want to make games and have the passion like you do?
2. How does someone come up with such unique ideas for games like you did? I mean, in a market filled with modern-military shooters, it's hard to think of a concept that'll hit home, but you guys nailed it. It's probably just creativity, but it's hard to imagine that you can just think of a game and in a couple of years, you could be selling it on Steam...
Thanks for reading/replying if you do,
Wumbo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:35 pm 
Believer
Believer

Well, I'm not a game dev but I think I can answer some of your questions. At least until someone with more knowledge comes around.

For your first question, the KHG devs are not newcomers in the video game industry, most if not all of them worked for other studios before teaming up and creating KHS. You can read a bit about them here. I imagine it's quite easy to find other people who share your passion if you are already working in the industry. Another way I've seen is for indie studios to rise from former mod teams. People who learned the trade by modding games decided that their skill can also put food on the table. One such studio created from former modders is Game Labs.

DK is something quite unique in the game world but it's not truly original (but everything is based on something else anyway), the devs took inspiration from other games like Rainbow 6, Frozen Synapse, Airport Control (mobile game). They took bits and pieces from those games and turned it into something unlike anything on the market. But a good idea for a game is not enough, you need to have to skills to implement that idea into a game that's exciting to play and works without constants problems. There are numerous examples of good ideas that were made into poor games.

Another advice I'd like indie devs to follow is not to bite more than they can chew. Steam Early access is filled with games that sounded amazing when they were announced, people opened their wallets to support it and in the end the devs had to scrap a lot of features and release the game without a lot of which was promised, destroying their credibility and pushing away any potential buyers for their next projects. The most recent example I can think of is Caribbean!.

Bottom line, if you want to make a good game there is no easy way to do it. You'll need to figure out what the public wants, have the skills to do it right and have the determination to see it through to the end. But like I said, I'm not a dev so who knows how these things work anyway. :P

-----------------------------------------
ICA mod
Payday mod

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:09 am 
Trooper
Trooper

Hi Bogdan,
Thank you for replying. I do agree that there are alot of early access games that promise this gigantic FPS with 4K graphics and we end up with an Aliens: Colonial Marines. So I guess where I should start is getting some mods and workshop items out there and see what the community thinks. Eventually, if I can make some games, I'll release prototypes, get community feedback and see if I'm cut out for making indie and maybe eventually AAA games!
Thanks,
Wumbo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:18 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't really have anything to add on Bogdan's answer, in general he's right on the money (though we did not get inspiration from Frozen Synapse).

There are multiple ways to skin a cat, so to speak, its best to start working on something small, perhaps for someone else or as a mod,, and thus learn about how to do it. Experience is key. In these days I generally advise starting to learn a game maker tool or Unity, and working with that. Start producing very small games, finish them, and then go up.

As for getting "the idea", its indeed all about creativity and intuition. In many corporate studios they produce tens of prototypes each month, trying to see what works and what doesn't. Thank kind of experience is good as it establishes what bits are fun and which are not. But in the end, I've found better results when you have a couple of focused people with an idea and who believe in it.

For me games are about getting excited about an experience, about some gameplay I imagine. If I don't have any idea that is ultra-exciting for me as a player, how can I expect other players to be?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:04 pm 
Trooper
Trooper

First off,
Thank you for answering. I'll get some mods out there and when I feel confident enough, I'll probably start off with Unity, because some great games have come out of it, and see what I can do. There's probably some Youtube tutorials as well to get me going. Who knows, maybe one day I'll be working for one of these massive companies like Rockstar or something...
Thanks,
Wumbo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:43 pm 
Believer
Believer

engagethewumbo wrote:
First off,
Thank you for answering. I'll get some mods out there and when I feel confident enough, I'll probably start off with Unity, because some great games have come out of it, and see what I can do. There's probably some Youtube tutorials as well to get me going. Who knows, maybe one day I'll be working for one of these massive companies like Rockstar or something...
Thanks,
Wumbo

When choosing a game to mod, look around for other mod teams for that game, most of them welcome anyone who wants to help, so you can get free lessons from the pros which is a lot faster and less frustrating than figuring it out on your own. Also if you choose Unity, look for a game that runs on this engine, you'll kill two birds with one stone, learn how to use the engine and get some exposure through mods. I have only one more advice to give you, be patient and persevere even if things are rough in the beginning, you won't become an awesome modder/developer in a couple of months. I suspect you are young so it's not like you are running out of time. :))

ICA mod
Payday mod

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:16 am 
He hacks on first date
He hacks on first date

BogdanM wrote:
I have only one more advice to give you, be patient and persevere even if things are rough in the beginning,

Great advice!
Took me 1 1/2 years to learn and finally figure out how to change/create animations for SH4.
:D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wohoo Privateer is alive!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:16 am 
Trooper
Trooper

Thanks for the meme m8 I'm stealing it BTW (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)