inthekillhouse.com

KillHouse Games Community
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:57 am 
Trooper
Trooper

Umriss, I think I see the direction you intend for scripting more clearly. After thinking about the issue more, I believe some of what each of us has proposed is complicated and may not integrate well with the existing design of DK2. I'm proposing two smaller "compromise" features that might be more appealing to KillHouse than a fairly major niche feature.

Those compromise features are:
1.) Mod support for in-game (runtime) AI scripting with the explicit intention of enabling modders to create their own in-game AI scripting interfaces and behaviors.
2.) Optional automatic pausing of the game with visual alerts when certain conditions have been met (examples: enemy sighted, X level of damage received, etc.).

If the modding community expresses interest, I believe the proposed features may offer a favorable cost-benefit while increasing the size of the target audience the features appeal to. At the least, optional automatic pausing should mitigate some of the desire players may have for in-game scripting.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:36 pm 
Trooper
Trooper

esddf wrote:
Umriss, I think I see the direction you intend for scripting more clearly. After thinking about the issue more, I believe some of what each of us has proposed is complicated and may not integrate well with the existing design of DK2. I'm proposing two smaller "compromise" features that might be more appealing to KillHouse than a fairly major niche feature.

Those compromise features are:
1.) Mod support for in-game (runtime) AI scripting with the explicit intention of enabling modders to create their own in-game AI scripting interfaces and behaviors.
2.) Optional automatic pausing of the game with visual alerts when certain conditions have been met (examples: enemy sighted, X level of damage received, etc.).

If the modding community expresses interest, I believe in Male Extra proposed features may offer a favorable cost-benefit while increasing the size of the target audience the features appeal to. At the least, optional automatic pausing should mitigate some of the desire players may have for in-game scripting.

Lots of good ideas in this thread. Looking forward to the new game.

Last edited by rowly on Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:35 am 
Trooper
Trooper

I've been playing DK again and remembered a small annoyance of mine. The projected exposure of a player character (PC) while plotting movement is sometimes very difficult to see. I hope DK2 improves this contrast.

Regarding the inclusion of synchronized movements, I don't know what KillHouse has already finished, planned, or dismissed, but I'd like to propose a feature. Many (especially deliberate-paced) techniques require angle-based relationships rather than speed-based relationships. These techniques are often difficult or impossible to execute without significant pausing and micromanagement, and thus DK1 does not favor these highly controlled movements during single-plan and no-pause runs.

To address these gameplay difficulties in DK2, I propose the feature of designating any arbitrary number of PCs greater than 1 within a grouping of touching PCs (such as a stack), then designating a corner or point in space. After the player creates a movement path for any one PC, the other, effected, PCs modulate their speed during movement to stay in-line with the designated point and the path-defined-PC while maintaining distance from one another. This feature should allow multiple such relationships between adjacent pairs of PCs and points to be designated. Further, this feature couples very well with point-based aim/look designations and the ability to split a stack arbitrarily between any two adjacent members for the creation of new, independent elements.

The result is that, through a simple control mechanism, players will be empowered to maintain mutual security of the element on multiple threatening exposures simultaneously. Terrain permitting, no PC will be exposed (or more than minimally exposed) without a blocking teammate to a threat area that PC is not, personally, covering. Further, there's no complicated timing or pausing and unpausing, which facilitates those pesky single-plan and no-pause runs. Finally, excessive user input is eliminated, thereby decreasing planning time while preserving player stamina for those long missions on very large maps.

A further potential benefit regards hostile NPCs. If hostile NPCs are provided the ability to stack and identify their respective threat exposures, hostile NPC AI would be enriched.

Note this approach does not apply to cross-cover as-is, and would require the designation of a line segment spanning two points of exposure, an extension to non-touching PCs, and a chosen technique for avoiding masking. In my view, the benefit of addressing cross-cover is smaller than that provided by the proposed, but it's probably non-trivial if intended to form a scalable feature set for hostile NPC AI.