inthekillhouse.com

KillHouse Games Community
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Breach & Clear
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm sure people are wary about posting on this so I'll just open up the door :)

Obviously many of you would be playing Breach & Clear now that its released on PC and the devs seem like nice guys :)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/266130/
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/br ... storefront

I bought both the iOS (back on the initial release) and the PC version. Got my own impression but was curious what YOU guys think of it?

Also, obviously, what do you guys think of Breach & Clear vs Door Kickers? What do you think they do better (if anything) to be a fun, realism based, modern Close Quarters Combat tactics game?

Post subject: Re: Breach & Clear
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:08 pm 
Tough Guy
Tough Guy

DK give the player more control: dynamic pause is awesome.

Planning is more complete on DK: flashbang planned for swat #1 is visibile also when you select swat #2. In B&C not happen.

However I would see a DK2 with Delta Force / Ranger / Green Berets where tangos throw grenades against the player, suppression fire from machine guns...... This will be more comparable with B&C.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:57 pm 
Trooper
Trooper

I have Breach & Clear for Android. I thought the 3D graphics were fun to look and the sound effects were intense. However, the game mechanics quickly went bland. I was able to 4-star most of the levels within 2-3 hours and was disappointed to find that as the game progressed enemies simply became more numerous and gained more HP. It's frustrating when a 1000HP warlord absorbs my entire team's full auto fire for 5 seconds straight, and takes them all out without breaking a sweat. The only reason I revisit the game every now and then is to level up my guys a bit and upgrade their gear.

B&C got immersion and RPG elements right. I wouldn't say the same about gameplay.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:34 pm 
Believer
Believer

Was waiting for this to come on PC. Going to buy it, play it and come back with a hands-on impression.

Just by watching youtube videos, it seems B&C is a bit simpler and streamlined. DK is more micro-intensive, complex but also allows greater tactical freedom. DK also seems a bit more "natural" and spectacular at points.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:56 pm 
Trooper
Trooper

I really think,that DK is better.
First of all,I don't like B&C's graphics.In this game,You can see everything in 3D and can highly zoom,so graphics don't look very good.(Like in CS 1.6 or something like this).Planning in B&C is very bad...I don't like,that You can't control Your trooper,when he starts action-You must wait for the next phase.However,there's a lot of equipment in the game.

In DK,maybe developers haven't worked a lot on graphics (Trooper animations are just in several images.B&C is 3D,so it takes much more time to make animations.),but I like it.I like top-down perspective,because it's simple.Planning is very good!There's no phases,there's pause,You can choose,where Your trooper goes...But there's not as many equipment,as in B&C.I think,that where will be added some firearms and special items (more grenades,non-lethal weapons etc),because it's Alpha 9 yet.Also where are more gameplay hours in DK...

P.S. Played B&C for 30-60 minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:04 pm 
Believer
Believer

Denissant wrote:
I really think,that DK is better.

In DK,maybe developers haven't worked a lot on graphics (Trooper animations are just in several images.B&C is 3D,so it takes much more time to make animations.),but I like it.I like top-down perspective,because it's simple.Planning is very good!There's no phases,there's pause,You can choose,where Your trooper goes...But there's not as many equipment,as in B&C.I think,that where will be added some firearms and special items (more grenades,non-lethal weapons etc),because it's Alpha 9 yet.Also where are more gameplay hours in DK...

The in-game sprites are made from animated 3D models, so the devs didn't take any shortcuts, just that the engine can't render 3D models right now. The devs mentioned that they want to move the 3D models for better animations.

Yes, I also found the phase system annoying, that you could only plan a few seconds in advance.

Finally, the cool weapon and attachment catalog was nice but not very realistic. Many of the items listed serve the same purpose in RL with almost zero differences, so it should be more a matter of personal choice regarding the look than increasing the weapon stats unrealistically. I'm not against weapon attachments in any way but I wouldn't like to see them working like some magical amulets.

-----------------------------------------
ICA mod
-----------------------------------------
Payday mod

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:08 am 
Stuff of Legends
Stuff of Legends

babs wrote:
I have Breach & Clear for Android. I thought the 3D graphics were fun to look and the sound effects were intense. However, the game mechanics quickly went bland. I was able to 4-star most of the levels within 2-3 hours and was disappointed to find that as the game progressed enemies simply became more numerous and gained more HP. It's frustrating when a 1000HP warlord absorbs my entire team's full auto fire for 5 seconds straight, and takes them all out without breaking a sweat. The only reason I revisit the game every now and then is to level up my guys a bit and upgrade their gear.

B&C got immersion and RPG elements right. I wouldn't say the same about gameplay.

A 1000HP warlord bullet sponge? Well, there goes my interest in that game lol :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:53 am 
Believer
Believer

Vasile wrote:
Was waiting for this to come on PC. Going to buy it, play it and come back with a hands-on impression.

Just by watching youtube videos, it seems B&C is a bit simpler and streamlined. DK is more micro-intensive, complex but also allows greater tactical freedom. DK also seems a bit more "natural" and spectacular at points.

I didn't get to play B&C a lot. I suck. I only played the tutorials and I don't like the chess-board approach that much. Playing DK gives a greater feeling of freedom of movement and tactical depth. I'm going to try and give B&C another shot, but frankly, when I start up Steam and see them side by side, somehow I always chose to play DK :P

What I think B&C has over DK is the milder learning curve. It seems like it's easier to just pick it up and play. This suggests it's more accessible to the standard gamer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:13 pm 
Trooper
Trooper

I have Breach & Clear for Android and think it works very well on that platform. I have not gotten it for PC as it looks like they made very few improvements to the engine or game play for that platform, and the mobile version I don't think would scale well to a full PC game.

B&C is simpler than DK. For a mobile game I think that's a good thing. B&C's squad selections, weapons and gear customization is superior to DK. I'd really like to see DK implement a squad selection system similar to B&C, and the ability to customize weapon attachments like B&C would also be awesome.

DK has superior planning, the free pathing and free pause system is much better than B&C's grid and turn system - though I think some of that is rooted in B&C's origin as a mobile game vs DK's origin as a PC game. I don't think DK's system would scale well to a phone-sized device. DK has waaaay more missions, more mission variety, more bad guy variety, better designed levels, better campaigns, mod and mission editor support, and the random mission generator.

Graphics are a wash. I don't think B&C's 3D graphics hold up well on PC, but they were deigned for mobile and work well there. I don't think B&C benefits from the 3D engine over DK's 2D engine, and DK is quite pretty.

On the whole, Doorkickers is the better game. Breach & Clear is great for wasting some time when I'm not at home and only have my tablet or phone to play on. Breach & Clear does do some things very well and I think Doorkickers can learn from it in these areas.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:03 am 
Trooper
Trooper

The fact B&C hasn't been patched in forever and was quickly abandoned says it all (no mod support). That and their planning a zombie shooter next which should really just tell you everything.