inthekillhouse.com

KillHouse Games Community
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:02 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Payday mod
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:18 pm 
Believer
Believer

For whatever reason I can't upload the mod on Steam Workshop so here it is for anyone who wants to try it out.

Very early version of the mod and you'll notice plenty of bugs/wierd animations.

What's in the mod so far:
- 1 mission: "First World Bank"
- 4 Payday character skins (no open door/reload/lower weapon animations)
- 6 enemy types: security guard, police officer, swat officer, shieldman, "cloaker", "bulldozer".
- 1 hostage enitity that can be killed without loosing the mission
- some icons, portraits, sounds, music replaced/added (I'll keep adding more)

Feedback is welcomed, let me know what you like or don't like, what I should add and it's possible with the DK engine, what's doesn't work and more importantly how to fix it. :)

Everyone is welcomed to create their own levels if they want with the condition of not copying any files from this mod in the level folder. Just make the level require the Payday mod to run.

Installation: Copy data_pd folder from the arhive inside DoorKickers/MODS, then activate it in the mods menu.

***This mod is not compatible with the latest game version so I've taken down the download link until I fix the problem.***

-----------------------------------------
ICA mod
Payday mod

Last edited by BogdanM on Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Payday mod
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:46 am 
Trooper
Trooper

I've tried your mod,so here's my feedback:
Mod is very good,but it needs more levels with different scenarios,more balancing,because I've failed bank mission,less noisy music,more protagonists' sounds.Also you need to change protagonists' clothes color and add some animations.You need to change enemies' textures,because it's not hard,just use 'color balance',but it will change their appearance,so players can recognize them (at the moment 'bulldozer',swat and 'cloaker' look similar.).You need to change enemies' tooltip text:when you hover at enemies (at most of them) tooltip shows that they are "Operator Orville"-s,and they haven't image.You need to fix it.Also you can make 'cloaker' moving faster and often.You can copy part of Juggernaut Jim's code,so when cloaker founds our protagonists,he will move as fast as he can towards them and will shoot at this time.And 'bulldozer' can have better armor.Drilling was very good,but you can replace breaching with drilling,instead of replacing lock picking with drilling.Doors can be breached with shotgun bullets,when it takes a lot of time when you try to drill,so shotgun breaching looks like cheating.Shield class button is still in the Roster.Also mod requires new equipment.Those are: unlockable weapons for new classes,some armor types,maybe.In PD2 there are 4 classes: Mastermind,Technician,Enforcer,Ghost.So you can choose for first class (Dallas) assault rifles,for second:SMGs,3rd-shotguns,4th-silenced SMGs.Oh,and you can breach elevator doors with shotgun and kill cloakers in it,but in the Sky Pub mission Operators appear later,in 7 seconds,so you need to see Sky Pub in the Editor and fix that in your mission.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:03 pm 
Believer
Believer

Hey Denissant, thanks for the review. Now lets get some stuff out of the way, I do this project for fun, I don't care if it's polished or not so I don't need to do anything. I'll do it if I feel like doing it! :lol:

For most of the things you pointed out the reason is that this is a very early version of the mod, I will get them fixed when I have time. I released the mod in it's current state because yesterday I started my summer practice at the hospital which means I get up at 6:30AM and get back home at around 5PM. I won't be able to spend much time working on the mod these next few weeks so I had to choose to either let the mod sit on my pc or release it and see if people like it and come up with ideas how to make it better.

I'm not familiar with the missions in Payday except for the First World Bank, that's why I did that one. A level of that size takes me 10-15h to complete which I more time than I'll be able to invest in the mod this month so there won't be any new levels for a while. That doesn't stop anyone from making their own levels payday style. :)

Finding suitable voice files is not as easy as you might think, I've listened to over 1600 sounds files and only came up with these ones. Most of the lines in Payday where specially made for each mission and they don't work well with the generic lines you hear in DK. Not to mention I can't add new voice sounds, only replace the existing ones.

I might work on the existing animations to make them look better but I'll certainly won't make animations for reload/open door/lower weapon. I would have to create from scratch each frame (over 100)... Yeah, not gonna happen. :D

Color balance doesn't do much good as it affects all colors on the sprite. A much better choice is using Color Range which only selects a certain palette of colors so you can select and color only the uniform or the vest. But what do you want me to change? The Swat officer, bulldozer and cloaker use the assaulter, breacher and stealth skins just like the official ones.

I decided to replace the drill with the lockpick because there is no stealth approach for the mission so I though people would rather want to open the door quickly with the crowbar since SWAT is on its way regardless if you make noise or not. I'll see if I can fix the shotgun breach but that would most likely mean you won't be able to use it on any door.

I know how they did it in the Sky pub level, I used the same idea in my first missions I did for DK and did the same thing in this level for all the cops that come from the street, I chose to put the cloakers in the elevator just to make the map look cleaner, you have no reason to open the elevator doors so why do it?

Now while it might never reach the quality standards of the vanilla game, I will work on the mod and improve it as long as I keep being interested in the project. It already came a long way from the 4 skins I decided to make for personal use.

ICA mod
Payday mod

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:25 pm 
Stuff of Legends
Stuff of Legends

Bogdan, I meant to tell you that I tried this mod out awhile back. Being that it's super early in development I won't get too involved with criticism but
the biggest thing that jumped out at me was the need for civilians to populate the environment. Having that included would liven up the mission and
make it seem a bit more involving, even if all they do is cower and whine.

Aside from that it's pretty damn cool! The menu changes alone got me into that Payday mood. You should definitely keep working on it when you
get the chance. It's got a massive amount of potential.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:03 pm 
Believer
Believer

I kind of holded back on adding too many civilians only because of the blood bath that would be caused by crossfire between the robbers and the SWAT. So far I haven't taught of a way to make the hostages be protected by both sides, or at least by the enemy. The best I could do was to make an enemy entity that isn't attacked by the player controlled characters and doesn't cause a mission failure if it dies. But I will create some new hostage sprites with different shirt and hair colors just to add some variety.

I will resume work on the mod this weekend or starting next week, but right now I'm on a mission to finish Xenonauts and I've took an oath not to play anything else until then. :lol: I'm having lots of fun though so I'm not complaining. :D

ICA mod
Payday mod

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:29 pm 
Stuff of Legends
Stuff of Legends

Great to hear that!

And yeah, I've got Xenonauts but have yet to play it. I'm kinda feeling the same way about Door Kickers as far as not wanting to stop. I'm worried that
once I start another game I might get too distracted from modding this one, lol.

But as for the NPC characters, I think that solution is fine. I don't really think they should worry too much about protecting the hostages. If the mission
doesn't require keeping any alive then they can just be there for looks. And if they die, no harm done; well, except to them. But I could see why coming
up with a solution to that could come in handy for other things down the road though.

I'd try and help brainstorm more but I haven't made any missions/levels yet so I don't know all the ins and outs of it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:49 am 
Believer
Believer

ICA mod
Payday mod

Last edited by BogdanM on Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:03 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Did you try uploading it to Workshop?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:58 am 
Believer
Believer

No, not yet. I still have a few things to do on my other mod. I'll get back to this one soon.

ICA mod
Payday mod